Sunday, September 13, 2009

LIFE BETWEEN THE NOTES … TRANSITION POINTS

Several years ago a friend commented that “life is lived between the notes.”  The context of the statement was that ‘wisdom’ is experienced in the intervals between the notes.  Reflecting on that statement, I would add that the depth, clarity and understanding of those notes are realized in the transition between multiple notes or ‘stimuli.’  Thomas Aquinas stated that “wisdom differs from mere science in looking at things from a greater height.  Wisdom is not in the details, it’s in the space between them – the interstices.  Wisdom is not in the fabric, it’s in the holes.  It’s what is going on between the events.”  Philosopher Alfred North Whitehead added “knowledge shrinks as wisdom grows: for details are swallowed up in principles.”  Just a couple of days ago was the anniversary date of September 11th.  Our experience of that day has evolved from a related series of tragic events that morning to our individual and collective responses or the ‘interstices between the notes’ heard since – the transition between outside stimulus (the initial act itself) experienced to our ongoing response or actions.


Personally, I see a series of ‘transition points’ being played in every phase of my life.  In light of ‘notes played’, how will I create the next phase of my life … what is my next ‘note’?  I wonder….  My real estate company (Keller Williams Coastal Properties) has asked me to reflect on a vision for the Company moving into the ‘new economy.’  Do we just remain ‘status quo’ or do we re-create the Company with a new vision and a new direction?  In my business, I find myself transitioning with a different mindset into other ‘micro-markets’ due to changing market forces.  Not really sure where that will lead – changing the paradigm from a realtor driven business plan to a service platform defined by the customer who represents a ‘mass of niches’.  All of my personal relationships are in transition - moving out, my kids completing school and being on their own, to new personal and professional relationships.  Ah, the uncertainty of change that leaves me wondering what will the transition look like down the road?  How do I let go of the ego, remain open to what is, see the value in the question and not the answer, and view all that will be from a place of abundance and not scarcity?  What is my lesson in all of these ‘transition points’ in my life? 


The enduring lessons I know is that a body in motion stays in motion (the need to have the courage to keep moving forward – one step at a time); mindset and the doing (action step) are equally important; the only permanence in life is impermanence; the power of affirmation is a forgotten gift we share with those around us AND just as important for ourselves; that lasting success, growth, change and empowerment is manifested through other people; what I passionately feel and think is my reality; and that perseverance is a strength greater than talent or endowment.  These simple truths are my transition points between the notes and continue to define the quality, clarity and depth of my life.  Ok, so I may know a few other life lessons that are both relevant and important along the way.  But those seem to bubble up to the forefront. 


How do you experience your life between the notes?  What are your ‘transition points’?  What are the life lessons you are learning through your transitional moments?  In light of the anniversary of 9/11, how do our individual ‘transition points’ overlay together creating a more enlightened experience for our children, loved ones, community, country and world?

I hope you enjoyed the reflection and take the time to remember the loss of the past, consider how your ‘transition points’ present significant growth opportunities, and your wisdom accumulated in the intervals between the notes.  As always, I hope you make it a GREAT day and week!!  If you wish to read all the other Monday Morning Mojos written for you, then visit: http://mondaymojo.blogspot.com.  My deepest desire is that we engage in a conversation; consequently, I welcome and encourage your feedback and your reflections (please don’t hesitate to share your thoughts with me).  If I can be of service to you or your friends, please let me know or find me on the web at coastalcommunityhomes.com.  And, thank you for your continued support and inspiration … each of you are a cherished gift that enriches my life in ways you will never understand … Thank you!!  Jim Peys

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rules of Engagement:

Any email sent to me may be quoted in my blog;

No personal attacks, hate speech, bigotry, or seven dirty words in the comments or they will be deleted; and

Any comment or conversation on this blog may be quoted elsewhere.