Sunday, June 28, 2009

Getting ahead start on the week. As most of you are aware this blog, and subsequent emails are entitled "Monday Morning MOJOs" and are written as an inspirational story or encouraging word or two (typically more than just a few words - I tend to be verbose - my apologies). My goal is to consistently share an affirming story or inspirational message that encourages us to reflect upon what actions we are choosing that supports our greatest vision of ourselves. Otherwise, maybe the stories shared will be an amusing start to your week, much the same as a good cup of coffee. Regardless, I hope you enjoy the read and feel free to share with me your stories on the themes selected.

Many of us as children had parents, coaches or role models who preached (or pounded it into our heads) that winners "never give up." Personally as a child, I took that message as a crusade for my life. Well recently I read a book written by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers: The Story of Success" and Mr. Gladwell states a slightly different perspective. He suggests that highly successful people know when an event, a relationship, a circumstance or other situation does not serve their vision or goals and they quickly let go or give up on that situation. They don't waste time or energy (or at least as little as possible) with situations, relationships or events that don't ultimately serve what it is that they define as their primary purpose in life.

Sounds easy enough, except the other side of that paradigm is that these same successful people are tenacious in the pursuit of their goals, visions, dreams and purpose. In all of our lives there are intersections where other people challenge our vision or dreams by saying that "it can't be done." So as a participant in this journey it comes down to being selective in what it is we want, shedding that which doesn't support our dream/goal/vision, and then becoming tenacious in our pursuit of what does in fact support our dreams/visions/goals. The trick is in efficiently managing that very personal balancing act.

Recently, I was involved in a transaction involving another agent in my office who had been working on a real estate short sale - as the listing agent. She had fought to close this short sale transaction only to find out that the lender (without notice to anyone) actually foreclosed on the property and was changing the locks and evicting the agent's client. All this was being done AFTER the lender approved in writing the short sale. My friend went to several other agents and brokers for help on what, if anything, she could do - and all without exception told her there was nothing she could do, and that the best thing for her was to simply move on. Well that didn't sit well with her because she felt obligated (part of her personal vision statement) to fight to the end for her client. She found her way to me and after listening to the story, I asked how bad did she want this deal? Basically was she willing to fight against all odds to save the deal - well to her credit she said absolutely! So we made several strategic moves quickly and were able to get the foreclosure (actual auction sale) rescinded; then she worked through several other major obstacles (loan, repairs, extensions, inept buyer's agent, etc.) along the way. Finally she was successful in closing the transaction about thirty (30) days later. The point to the story is she never gave up on herself and her client because this event was a part of her vision as an agent and as a person.

We all have many personal stories similar to the one shared above that has touched us on multiple levels. And so, it is that I wish to share a poem with you that my dad hung on my bedroom wall when I was a teenager. He meant it as inspiration for at the time I was chasing a dream that everyone in my life told me was impossible. Over the years I have read this poem often, and to this day it has never lost its significance in my life. Today I am mindful however that the entire message is not just about "never giving up or giving in" ON EVERYTHING, but only that which supports my purpose or vision for myself! I hope you enjoy and give the gift of this poem to someone you love!

The poem was written by Edgar A. Guest, around 1930 (date varies depending upon your source). Mr. Guest originally got his start as a journalist in the 1890s with the Detroit Free Press. His first poem found its way to print with the Free Press in 1898 and he continued writing until his demise in 1959. The poem is entitled "It Couldn't Be Done":

“Somebody said that it couldn’t be done,

But he with a chuckle replied

That ‘maybe it couldn’t, but he would be one

Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried.’

So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin on his face.

If he worried he hid it.

He started to sing as he tackled the thing

That couldn’t be done, and he did it.

Somebody scoffed: ‘Oh, you’ll never do that;

At least no one ever has done it;’

But he took off his coat and he took off his hat,

And the first thing we knew he’d begun it.

With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin,

Without any doubting or quiddit,

He started to sing as he tackled the thing

That couldn’t be done, and he did it.

There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,

There are thousands to point out to you one by one,

The danger that awaits to assail you.

But just buckle in with a bit of a grin,

Just take off your coat and go to it;

Just start to sing as you tackle the thing

That “cannot be done,” and you’ll do it.” Edgar A. Guest

I hope that you choose to make it a great week!! Please feel free to send me your comments, or let me know how I can be of service to you! Jim Peys

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rules of Engagement:

Any email sent to me may be quoted in my blog;

No personal attacks, hate speech, bigotry, or seven dirty words in the comments or they will be deleted; and

Any comment or conversation on this blog may be quoted elsewhere.