Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Tortoise MOJO - June 1, 2009

Today is Monday, June 1st and as we approach the mid point of 2009 this MOJO is particularly poignant. Many of us set goals around New Years’ each year because it seems appropriate on the eve of another year. Yet as the weeks wane those goals become further away from our consciousness. Others of us commit to goals throughout the year, but sometimes fall short with the passage of time. I find myself in the later category - and I often remind myself, especially learning from my kids (actually young adults now), about the story of the tortoise and the hare. That story is relevant when reading today's MOJO.

The tortoise had it right as far as the story tells us - slow and steady (consistency) will prevail over the long haul. But I wonder if along the journey as the tortoise toiled plodding along never stopping if it thought how to be more efficient and better along the journey? Little course corrections and constantly evaluating his journey via the infamous "feed back loop" in decision making. My guess is that the tortoise was constantly evaluating his progress becoming more efficient with every stride as it consistently moved towards the goal. Ah tis much I have to learn. The goal remains clear but my diligence to the path often strays.

As always I hope you enjoy this morning's MOJO thanks to Tom Tognoli, COO and Founder of Intero Real Estate Services.

Good Morning MOJO,

Here is a great question…Where will I be in ten years from now if I keep going the way I am going? Reflect for a moment on last week and ask yourself this question…”if I do exactly what I did last week, every week for the next 10 years where will I be personally…professionally…spiritually…in my relationships with those I love and care about the most…how will my health be…what will my bank account look like in 10 years from today?

So many people fail to realize that success at anything in life is the result of little successes achieved over a very long period of time. That is why obesity of the #1 preventable killer in the world today. People are looking for the quick fix…for a pill or a magic diet. We are not willing to make those small sacrifices and stick with it for the long haul. Truly successful people are long-term thinkers. They know that they must build upon each achievement and constantly learn new and better ways of doing things. A regular review of your progress is essential part of goal setting. A goal is a little more than a wish unless it has a timetable for completion. Make sure your plan for your life includes short, medium and long term goals. Revise your goals as things change…check them off when they are completed and set new bigger goals for yourself as you grow. And take time to reflect often to make sure you are on the right track.
"The actions you take in the first hour of your day will determine your fate for the rest of it"”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rules of Engagement:

Any email sent to me may be quoted in my blog;

No personal attacks, hate speech, bigotry, or seven dirty words in the comments or they will be deleted; and

Any comment or conversation on this blog may be quoted elsewhere.