Sunday, November 22, 2009

Thanksgiving ... What Is Really Important?

What are you thankful for this holiday season?  

Sometimes gratitude and crisis are interesting 'bed partners.'  Stories involving crisis bring an additional awareness into our life that provides space for gratitude.  I wish it were different especially as we approach Thanksgiving.  But then again certain events seal the images of family, friendships, health, and memorable loving moments - at least for me.  Although, I would prefer to skip these moments and just be grateful - some how life doesn't always cooperate until we choose to see it from a different lens.

Obviously there is something more I must learn or remember ... maybe I need to choose to be 'in a state of gratitude' all the time?  Ah, that would be a GREAT start!!  So in this moment what am I most grateful for beyond family ... friends who have lovingly impacted my life even in my uncertain moments.

I'm particular aware of 'friendship' as a long time friend awaits upon the next chapter.  I once reflected about this person in a book about my search for love and friendship.  Tonight as the family struggles to come to grips with her cancer fight I am reminded of a few verses of "The Healer":

"The Healer lies still,
Her body exhausted, confronting its own limits,
Hoping to wipe away the pain,
I am struck by her presence.

Her face radiates a divine love.
Her eyes dance with a vibrant energy.
Her smile lights a glow that embraces the stillness.
Her gentle touch assures the nerves left tattered.
I wonder who is offering comfort?
...
Freed from the clutches of my humanness,
Renewed in God's love.
And for that blessed moment,
I am forever aware of her presence in my life."

These words have never been more personally relevant than tonight.  I will forever remember her for sharing a divine love that embraced and accepted me even in my lowest moments.  Thank you my friend!!  I will forever remember your courage, inner strength and most of all your love!

As you gather your family may you spend a moment being grateful of those people who have crossed your path and made a difference in your life.  Those people who unconditionally loved you or who provided a mantel for you to lean on in your time of need.  May you be grateful for their friendship, guidance and willingness to walk with you in your journey.  For me, that is what Thanksgiving is all about - being present to all those people who have shaped me and loved the person that I am regardless of my blemishes.

Fitting in this moment I came across this interview of a person you probably recognize - Scott Hamilton (to view the interview click on Scott Hamilton).  Scott fought the ultimate fight against cancer and has persevered.  Maybe this will be the inspiration for you to remember what is truly important this season as you gather around family to enjoy your annual feast.  From my family to your family I hope that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

If you wish to read all the other Monday Morning Mojos written for you, then visit: http://mondaymojo.blogspot.com.  As always, I welcome and encourage your feedback and your reflections (please don’t hesitate to share your thoughts with me).  If I can be of service to you or your friends, please let me know or visit us at http://www.coastalcommunityhomes.com.  Thank you for your continued support and inspiration … each of you are a cherished gift that enriches my life in ways you will never understand … Thank you!!  Jim Peys

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rules of Engagement:

Any email sent to me may be quoted in my blog;

No personal attacks, hate speech, bigotry, or seven dirty words in the comments or they will be deleted; and

Any comment or conversation on this blog may be quoted elsewhere.